The kids and I have been looking for some fun new things to do since we've been stuck indoors with all the rain we've been having. We're all ready for spring. So in anticipation of sunnier days; and to celebrate "our bird" finishing her nest, we made some little bird nest sugar cookies. It's a quick, easy activity perfect for a rainy day or a weekend at home.
Here's what you'll need:
Sugar cookies. Here's my favorite recipe, or just buy some if you're in the mood for a short cut.
Frosting. I use vanilla buttercream
Mini Robin's Egg candies
Any other embellishments you might want: coconut flakes, edible Easter grass, pretzel sticks
1.Make the cookies and frost them as usual.
2. Dye the fondant with a drop or two of food coloring. Twist, squish and pull the fondant (like play-doh) until the color is incorporated. (My 5-year-old especially likes this part). If it gets too sticky, work in a bit of cornstarch to dry it up a bit.
3. After the fondant is the color you want, pinch off a bit and roll it between your palms like you're making a play-doh snake. (Did anybody catch the Aquabats reference here?)
4. Keep rolling until it's the desired size.
5. Make a circle shape out of the fondant on top of the cookie. Keep adding circle on top of circle until your nest is just the right size. (No need to make it perfect...the little ends sticking out will look like twigs).
6. Add the eggs to the center of the nest.
7. Add some "roughage" to your nest...pretzel sticks will look like twigs, coconut flakes, or edible Easter grass work great, too.
Enjoy! Hope you had a wonderful weekend.