Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Halloween Cookies

My trusty kitchen assistant and I made Halloween cookies yesterday. I was in charge of icing them, and he was in charge of sprinkle distribution. (Except for that wobbly attempt at a jack-o-lantern; he requested a little assistance there). I think this was the most fun I've ever had making Halloween cookies...and they're definitely the most...um, interesting-looking halloween cookies I've ever made. But they taste great.

Here's my Mom's sugar cookie recipe. It's really the best I've ever tasted...and they're especially good the day after you bake them, so make sure you have plenty to last through the night.

Sugar Cookies
1 1/2 C. sugar
2 sticks (1 C.) butter
3 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
3 1/2 C. sifted flour
2 tsp. cream of tartar
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
Cream sugar, butter, and eggs until creamy and well mixed. Add vanilla. Sift flour, cream of tartar, soda and salt together. Add to creamed mixture, mixing until thoroughly blended. Chill, covered for 3-4 hours, or overnight.
Roll onto lightly foured surface to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut as desired with floured cutters. Bake on lightly greased baking sheets for 12-15 min. in 375 degree oven. *Do not overbake!*
Decorate when cooled.

I hope you can find some good kitchen help. I don't know what I'd do without mine!

No comments: