You heard me. I've found buttercream perfection. In my world, frosting is worthy of its own food group. I used this frosting recipe at several parties I threw this summer and promised the recipe to so many people I can't even count that high. So get out there and start baking...this is the stuff dreams are made of.
1 1/2 C. Unsalted Butter, room temperature
1/4 C. + 1 1/2 tsp. Milk, room temperature
1 Tbsp. + 1/4 tsp. Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla
7 C. Powdered Sugar
1. Cream butter on medium speed (1-2 minutes) until even. Scrape bowl and beater.
2. Add milk, vanilla, and half of powdered sugar. Mix on medium speed for 2 minutes. Scrape bowl. Mix for another 2 minutes on medium speed. Scrape bowl again.
3. Add remaining powdered sugar and mix on medium speed for 3 minutes (or more--depending on how fluffy you like your frosting). Scrape bowl.
4. Mix one last time on medium for 30 seconds.
5. Store in airtight container at room temperature. If you're not using immediately, store in refrigerator for up to 1 week. Bring to room temperature before using.
A couple notes:
- I use my stand mixer for this recipe, but a hand-mixer works equally as nice.
- Don't even think of using crappy vanilla for this recipe. Buy the good stuff. It makes a world of difference. Promise.
- Let your butter sit out at room temperature for 1-3 hours (depending on the temperature of the room). You should be able to make indentations with your fingers when you squeeze it gently.
- Scrape, scrape, scrape that bowl. I'm usually a lazy scraper; but scraping the bowl and the mixer blade definitely contributes to the most heavenly frosting.
- This recipe is basically foolproof. Tweak the ingredients a bit to fit your mood--add more sugar for frosting cookies, or add more milk for thinner frosting.
Don't even try to keep yourself from licking the spoon. :)