Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Enchanted Forest

I'm starting to wonder if I live in the Enchanted Forest or something. We keep having funny little run-ins with wildlife. Remember the lizard? Well, the other day it was pouring. The kids and I were sitting on the floor in the family room playing board games and this little squirrel scurried along right next to our screen door trying to stay dry. The kids immediately hurried over to the window to see her (we named her "Mommy Squirrel") and she wasn't frightened by her audience. We threw out some sunflower seeds to keep her around a bit longer, and the kids admired her while she stayed dry near the house.

And then there's this little devil:

The Raccoon who has taken possession of our garbage cans. He lurks out there every night from 9 pm - 3 am. He's smart, strong, and stubborn. When we catch him in the cans, he climbs up the fence and waits for us to leave the window so he can return to his business. One night, B returned late from a night of call, only to be startled by the raccoon perched protectively on the fence. And when the kids aren't waking me up during the night, you can bet the raccoon is keeping me up with his banging around down there. We're strategizing a way to politely get him to move along...I'll keep you updated on our progress.

Too bad I can't sing, or I'd try this. I'm sure all my little critter friends would love to help me tidy up around here.

Oh, and this is just the beginning: there's a pair of turtle doves who live in the back yard, and some wild boars who roam the neighborhood (really).

In other news, I'm teaching my first-ever jewelry making class tomorrow. I just finished making the bracelet kits. I hope I don't sound like a complete idiot. :)

2 comments:

Cherry Blossoms said...

Gotta love those pesky raccoons. When I was living in Minnesota we had some that would always linger around our place as well and the would scare the living heck out of me! Good luck getting rid of your unwanted friend!

Wahzat Gayle said...

LOL squirrels, raccons yup some kind of jungle alright!

The raccoon looks like a real imp!

Ohhh good luck with your class tomorrow