Thursday, June 3, 2010

DIY: J. Crew Sparkle Necklace


Recently I developed a severe case of obsession over a necklace I spotted at J. Crew. I found myself daydreaming about it while I was in the car and thinking about it before I drifted off to sleep at night. Two things stopped me from buying it on the spot: 1. The price tag. 2. The fact that I knew I could make it in five minutes, for about five bucks.


Here's what you'll need:
1. Satin ribbon. I found the perfect shade at a local shop. I used a 5/8" silvery-grey to re-create the original. And I bought 3 yards to make sure I had plenty.
2. Faceted acrylic beads. You can use any color; but I chose clear. I used the following shapes/sizes: 20mm Round, 18x13mm Rondelle, 22x14 Tube, and 17x15 Cube.
3. Tape
4. Scissors
5. Needle-nose pliers (optional)


Tie one knot about 6-10 inches from the end of your ribbon. This will become the bow that ties the necklace closed, so make sure you leave enough ribbon to tie a bow.


Tape the opposite end of the ribbon like a shoelace. This helps you thread the ribbon through some of those tighter beads, without fraying it to shreds.


Thread your first bead. Tie a knot. Thread your second bead. Tie a knot.



Repeat in any pattern you'd like. Keep tying knots and threading beads until your necklace is as long as you desire.
Cut the tape off the end of the ribbon; then trim both ends so they're the same length.
Tie a bow; and wear your sparkly new necklace with pride.


Just a few tips:
Tie the knots pretty tight and as close to the beads as possible. If tiny people like to use your jewelry as lassos or teething toys; the knots will get tighter and the beads will start sliding around. Not a huge deal, but don't say I didn't warn you.

The rondelle is a bit of a nightmare to thread because it has the smallest hole. You kind of have to twist and jam the ribbon in there, then grab the end with the pliers and pull it on through. The ease of stringing the rondelles all comes down to how the end of the ribbon is taped. If you're having a hard time, simply cut of the end of the ribbon, re-tape it and try again.

If you order the beads from the links above, you'll have enough to make roughly three necklaces...so throw a necklace party, or make several so you'll have some cute, handmade gifts on hand.

4 comments:

Cherry Blossoms said...

great post and good job! I bought one of their ribbon necklaces a few months ago and I wear it all the time! I got the one from the store with the silver ribbon but I want a pink one. I think I may just have to follow your instructions and give this a try!

Wahzat Gayle said...

Cool!

I am the same way hate to spend money on something I can make.
good job... I just may try it.

Heather I. said...

So so pretty...You're so creative!

Just Jaime said...

I love it! I've been trying to find a good tutorial online on how to make this--it's simple I know but it's great to have some tips from someone with experience. Thanks for sharing!