Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Big Kid Bedroom

Hi guys! I'm so excited to share this room with you. I feel like I've been working on this project for ages, and it's finally done! Hip, hip, HOORAY! I teamed up with my friends at The Land of Nod to create this fun room for my 8-year-old. Many of you know I've been writing for their blog for a couple years now, and it's no secret that I love everything Nod. I've been a customer for years, so working with them is really a dream come true.

In order to keep the nice folks at the FTC happy, I need to tell you that my friends at Nod gave me some of the things for Hudson's room. Most of the items we bought with our very own money; but I'll denote everything below in my sources so you don't feel misled. Now that I've jumped through that pesky disclosure hoop, let's move onto the fun stuff:
My son's name is Hudson. He loves sports, science, Legos and the color red. We've lived in our new home for almost a year now, and I've been flitting from room to room working on project after project. Hudson waited so patiently while I tackled other projects, like his sister's room, until it was finally time to turn my full attention to his room. 

You may remember the inspiration board I created several months ago. I stayed pretty true to the board, but added a few things as I went along. Sometimes I feel like kids rooms are a little too theme-y for my tastes. Don't get me wrong--I've seen some fantastic theme rooms. Like many kids though, mine are interested in so many things, and their interests change. So rather than locking onto one distinct theme for this room, I let Hudson be the "theme" of his room. This room is a pretty accurate reflection of his personality and the things that are important to him. And that makes me happy.

Legos are the bees knees right now. Have been for several years. I first realized we had a problem when I couldn't take two steps in the same direction without stepping on a handful of those delightful tidbits. I saw this fantastic organizing system on Pinterest and knew right away it was The One. It's just an IKEA system with some labels on the drawers. But it definitely does the trick.

Santa made the Lego table for Christmas, and I hear it was the easiest DIY ever. One IKEA table + 3 Lego pads + Spray Glue. You get the idea. It took about five minutes to get a perfectly customized lego table. I made both the bulletin board and the shelf (tutorials coming soon!). I realized the shelf was a necessity when the younger kids and their friends started destroying some really time-consuming projects. Now Hudson can display his creations without constant fear of a Natural Disaster (i.e. Little Brother) while he's at school. 

I love this scene so much. I took most of these photos while Hudson was at school, but then realized I didn't get a good shot of the dresser. I ran back up to take more photos in the afternoon and saw this little rock shop he'd set up. So pardon the mess, but it's just too sweet to take down. The green sign reads: "Last Day of the Rocks and minerals shop. Free touching." So hurry on over if you want to touch some rocks. It's free, you know.

Some of my favorite accessories are flea market finds. Hudson has loved bowling since he was tiny. And the tennis racket was from the time I took him on a little date to the Alameda Flea when we lived in California. He picked up this blue racket and I just couldn't say no. When we got home, I realized it had an "H" on the strings. It was meant to be.

Also, I think it's fun to see how this paint looks different in every photo. The two photos above were taken at the same time of day, but on adjacent walls. Sometimes the paint looks blue and other times it looks gray. Once after I'd just finished painting the room, I stood in the corner comparing two walls for about five minutes because they looked so different. It was at this time I realized two things: 1. I really like this paint color, and 2. I'm undeniably a complete nut job.

I firmly believe eight is the perfect age. He's grown up enough to be semi-responsible and super fun to talk to; yet still sweet and cuddly and secretly still likes his teddy bear. If I could freeze him right now I would.


The two "posters" above his bed are actually just wrapping paper sheets from Paper Source. They were five bucks each, and they're absolutely perfect. He's got a Minecraft poster he's dying to get up on that wall…so I imagine the poster spot will change frequently.



The headboard (below) is one of the details I added as we went along. It just sort of happened and I couldn't be happier about it. I found this incredible local shop that's kind of a mix between a flea market and an up-cycling shop. The headboard is actually made from a 1940's bowling lane. I told them what I had in mind and they made it happen. Even down to the exact size and finish color I wanted. I'm thrilled.

Now hanging this bad boy was another story. I didn't realize the bowling lane headboard would be so heavy…so I had to find two studs and use a french cleat and make sure the whole thing was level, and most importantly, safe. After a pep talk from my dad, a new drill bit and a lot of cursing under my breath I did it. I've never felt so victorious in my life. The thing is on there rock solid and completely level (despite my crooked photo). I may have done the running-man down the hallway immediately after I hung the headboard. But don't worry, there are no witnesses (that I know of).
So there it is! Hudson loves his room, and I'm so happy with the way it turned out.

Here's a lengthy list of the items I used in this room…but let me know if I missed anything:

Land of Nod Products:
items they gave me are marked with an *
Other Items:

3 comments:

WildHoneyApothecary said...

Wow! Love the quilt and the astrological prints. What an awesome job :)

Sara*P said...

Amazing room! May I ask where that cute little t-rex planter is from? Thank you!

christina said...

Hi Sara*P
Thanks! I got the t-rex at a consignment store; but I believe it was originally from CB2. It's supposed to be a tea light holder, but I thought it was cuter as a planter. :)