Here's a before picture I saved from the original real estate listing. We decided to tear out the old wooden shutters and have new, crisp white ones installed. The process took a bit longer than I expected, but I couldn't be happier with the result. I got up close and personal with the insides of our house; and I learned a lot about using sheetrock mud in the process. (Thanks, Dad!)
The Land of Nod for this project. I got all of the artwork through Etsy, and the bed is my most treasured family heirloom. My mom had two cute, knobby twin beds in her room growing up. My sister and I used to jump back and forth between the beds when the grownups thought we were asleep. I'm now the lucky owner of these darling beds, and one of them recently got a snazzy makeover. You can see the before shot here.
I'm not one to shy away from a little DIY furniture painting. But these beds are irreplaceable, and I was really scared to bugger them up. So I turned to the pros. Worth every penny. I guarantee if I had to strip down the bed and sand it, I would have left a string of curse words a mile long. Now I can save my swearing for more important matters. Like stepping on Legos.
You can see more pictures of the completed room over at Honest to Nod today.
And here's a lengthy source list for you:
- Shutters: Old World Mill (Salt Lake City) They're incredible. Definitely give them a call if you're local.
- Paint Color: Benjamin Moore Beach Plum
- Bed Painting: The Stripper. If you're going to look him up, use "furniture" in your search terms. For obvious reasons.
- Owl Skater Print: Ashley Percival. This is my VERY favorite piece in the entire house right now. It's incredible. And even cuter in person.
- Bamboo Doily Clock: Uncommon
- Oscar Wilde Quote: The Big Lake It's printable and an instant download. Yay!
- Princess Play Castle: Disney Store
- White wall hearts. I made 'em. Yay for DIY!
And here are all the fantastic Land of Nod goodies featured in Charlotte's room. Some are pictured here, and others are shown over at Honest to Nod.
- Handpicked knob, gold floral
- Jenny Lind nightstand (azure)
- Glow Lightly Table Shade*
- Checkmate Table Base*
- Bazaar Bedding
- Sunburst Mirror*
- Head in the Clouds Pillow
- Mini Cloud Corkboards
- Cloud Corkboard
- Wee Wonderfuls Agnes Doll (I won this as a door prize at the Nod Holiday trunk show. Best door prize ever!)
- Home Sweet Play Home Canopy*
- Gold Confetti Floor Cushion* (no longer available online)
- Little Felix Chair
- Bon Voyage Suitcase Set
- Dotted Floor Bin
- Little Sloane Leaning Bookcase
- Heat of Gold Wall Shelf*
- Gold Sequin Bow Wreath
*In the spirit of disclosure, I should mention that the nice people at Nod gave me the items marked with an asterisk. Just because they're nice. I've been a long-time fan and customer of The Land of Nod, so I truly would have purchased each and every one of these items had they not given them to me. But I'm glad they're so generous. All the other items were things I either bought specifically for this project, or things we all ready had. I'm not even obligated to say anything nice about The Land of Nod. I just genuinely love their stuff. So much, in fact, that I've incorporated some into most of the rooms in the house. More on that later.
I've got a couple more DIY projects in store for this room…so I'll be back when they're done. But for now, I leave you with a photo of Little Brother enjoying the play tent. Have a great day!