Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Cleaning Made Simple(r)


I have such a love/hate relationship with cleaning. I love a good, clean home. But I hate doing all the work. Especially when I can't organize my cleaning tasks properly. When was the last time I cleaned out the fridge? That floor sure looks dirty; I swear I just scrubbed it yesterday.

It seems like forever now that I've been trying to come up with a cleaning schedule that works for me. I try one thing, get distracted or annoyed, then give up and move onto something else. Leave it to Martha to do all the thinking for me. I just found all these nifty checklists on her website. She's got it all covered: from daily chores to weekly and even seasonal cleaning. And since I'm such a sucker for a good checklist, this may just work for me. Now if I can just manage to work all that cleaning into my schedule, my uber-clean mother will be oh, so proud.

So tell me, what's your most-dreaded cleaning task?
Mine's the fridge. I dread cleaning the fridge.

On a totally unrelated note: I just want to thank you all for your kindness and your thoughtful comments yesterday. It's not often that I get down like that, but really...how lucky am I? I am so glad I have such wonderful people in my life who can help pick me back up and nudge me in the right direction. Thank you! I'm feeling much more like myself today. :)
photo from Martha Stewart.

4 comments:

Christina said...

i don't have a least favorite cleaning task b/c i pretty much HATE all of it. unfortunately, my house is reflecting my deep disdain for cleaning, but like you, i soooo love a clean home. if i had the money, i'd hire a cleaning service. is that pitiful?

Anne @ The City Sage said...

Hmmm...not sure which I hate more: vacuuming or doing the dishes. Both are up at the top of the list for sure.

A checklist? Leave it to martha to come up with something so simple that we all should have thought of it already!

Glad to hear you're feeling better--and I feel you on the whole 'why does my work only get noticed when it's wrong' thing. I get that a lot too...but WE love you unconditionally here and send lots of hugs your way :)

PS~Erin said...

There are so very many. In fact, I slated this time now to be cleaning, and you can see that I'm successfully avoiding it. I don't like cleaning the bathrooms, mopping, emptying the dishwasher, folding laundry, and now that you mentioned, I don't really care for cleaning the frig either (and I really need to). I'll take this as a subliminal hint and start my chores!

Have a good weekend!

Liz said...

I don't like cleaning my wood floors. Don't know what really works, but I need something new for them! ALso I heard a tip yesterday on Good things Utah.. they said taht if you put baby oil on the shower door, it resists water.. i think you can watch the click here..

http://www.abc4.com/content/about_4/gtu/featured_on/story/Cleaning-House-with-the-Maids/NBdN8fiv-0yVGXpubZaJ1w.cspx