Thursday, March 17, 2011

Money Cakes

My grandma used to make a money cake every year on my birthday. I decided St. Paddy's Day was the perfect time to reinstate the tradition. After all, those sneaky little leprechauns like shiny golden coins, no? Here's the gist of the money cake tradition: Grandma would scrub up all her special coins (silver dollars, fifty cent pieces, etc.), wrap them in wax paper and bake them into a birthday cake. The birthday kid chooses his/her piece of cake first; whatever they find in their slice of cake is theirs to keep.

My version is a tiny bit different. Cupcakes. Each baked with a shiny gold dollar inside; and topped off with a chocolate gold coin as a hint at what's inside. We'll devour a few ourselves and deliver others to our friends. If you're not totally grossed out by the thought of baking money into a cake, here's a quick how-to:
1. Gather up the goods: Coins (I asked for new gold dollars, so I wouldn't have to wonder where they've been), cake mix, wax paper, sprinkles, chocolate coins and frosting (I'm a frosting snob: I don't do store-bought. Sorry. That's just how I roll. So check out my vanilla buttercream recipe if you need a good one).

2. Scrub those coins. I simply use hot, soapy water and a scrub brush. But if it makes you feel better, run those puppies through the dishwasher, boil them or whatever you have to do. Just don't tell me if baking money is hazardous to your health...I'll cover my ears and shout "lalalalala" till you're done.

3. Cut squares of waxed paper (approx. 3" x 3"). Wrap each coin individually in wax paper. Set aside.
4. Mix up the cake batter. 
5. Fill the muffin tins half-full of batter, and place a little coin packet on each. Put the remaining batter on top of the coins. 
6. Bake the cupcakes according to package directions. 


7. Cool the cupcakes on a wire rack. 
8. Frost when completely cooled.
9. Decorate as desired.
10. Eat. Enjoy the surprise on their faces when they find the treasure hidden inside their dessert.



Happy St. Patrick's Day!

6 comments:

stephanie. said...

I love these! Can you get the gold dollars at any old bank?

Ashley said...

Christina, I wish you could have seen the boys' faces when they discovered the gold dollar inside. You are so wonderful to do this for your kids and then to share it with us. We felt super "lucky" ;) Thanks so much!!

Fashion Confessions of a Mommy said...

What an interesting idea. The cupcakes look so yummy.

Wahzat Gayle said...

Awesome!! these are cool! I wish I would make some cupcakes for my kiddies!
BUt they are all getting over some bug or another so I am steering FAR away from all things that may cause relapses LOL
Hope you are feeling better.... oh I still get ear infections and I am going on 41 LOL

km said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!! I might do this for APRIL FOOLS DAY! The kids will be so excited! What a memory from your grandma.

Anonymous said...

We put the coins in after the cake is baked. They are slipped in and frosted over so you cant see where the money is.