Tuesday, January 4, 2011

DIY Bobby Pins



This year, I'd really like to stay on top of birthday gifts. It seems like I'm always making a last-minute run to the toy store on the way to the birthday party. Not this year. I'm going to stay ahead of the game by making birthday gifts ahead of time so they're ready to go well before the party arrives. I've given these bobby pins to several of my friends' daughters and they're always a hit. I've seen these selling online for as much as $2.50 each. But if you buy the supplies and take all of 10 minutes to make them, they'll cost a whopping .25 each. Convinced? Here's how:



Step 1: Gather your supplies: bobby pins with padscovered button kit, covered button mold (included in kit), fabric scraps, scissors, needle-nose pliers and Gorilla Glue


Step 2: Cut circles of fabric to fit the button form. (There's a pattern on the back of the button package).


Step 3: Cover the buttons according to package directions.


Step 4: Using needle-nose pliers, gently remove the shanks from the buttons.


Step 5: Use a small amount of glue to to adhere the buttons to the bobby pins. I used Gorilla Glue
(Tip: The glue expands as it dries, so take it easy on the glue.) Leave the pins face-down for 30-60 minutes while the glue dries.

All done. See, wasn't that easy? A quick project and a jump-start on the year's birthdays all in one. Have a great day!

Do you like covering things with fabric? Check out my lampshade makeover and my mini flannel board tutorial for more fun ideas.


***UPDATE*** I've received a lot of specific questions about this project. You can read the answers here.

14 comments:

Fashion Confessions of a Mommy said...

They are so cute.

Erin said...

I actually bought a few lovely bobby pins with buttons at a craft show just before Christmas. These are equally lovely!
My question, where did you find the bobby pins with pads?

christina said...

Hi Erin,

Thanks for your comment! I'm so glad to hear from you.
Here is a link to the bobby pins I used. http://shop.rings-things.com/cart/pc/Bobby-Pin-10mm-Round-Pad-White-1258p12017.htm

I got them at Rings & Things online. They come in a pretty large pack; but I like to make a bunch as gifts to keep handy. Or you could have a little crafting night and split them up between your guests.

Hope that helps!

xo
christina

Jeanne said...

Totally cute! I use bobbypins all the time. I should totally make some of these.

Amanda said...

Thanks for the link for the bobby pins! I'm already inspired and thinking about what fabrics I'll use. Great post!

christina said...

Jeanne, you SHOULD try making them. They're super easy...I think these took me about 10 minutes, tops.

Amanda, thanks for stopping by! That's my problem, too--deciding on fabrics. But this is a great project to use up a bunch of those fabric scraps you have laying around.

carlene said...

i was wondering where you found thos bobby pins with the flat circle plate.

Kate said...

Thank you so much for this tutorial! I just paid $15 for a pair of earrings like this, with the intent to figure out how to make them! :)

People Who Know Me Would Say: said...

I LOVE THESE! Thank you so much for the tutorial!

I'm your newest follower. :)

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing this tutorial! Looks simple enough even for a craft-challenged person like me to make! :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much, I can't wait to try these. A lady at my local craft market sells these as packs of 2 for $12!! I always wanted some but was annoyed at the price as I knew they would be relatively cheap to make.

Leah said...

Just started making these last night! SOOO cute! I do have one question though. I am having a really hard time removing the shank...either I just can't get it out or the whole piece comes out when I'm trying to pull it out...any tips or advice on this one? Thanks!!

Cassandra said...

Super cute! I'm going to feature these over on my Fabric Button Love post later on today :)
Consider me your newest liker from Cass Can Sew x

A.J. Dub. (Amy) said...

Really cute! I saw these featured today on http://southernfabric.blogspot.com/2013/04/fabric-scraps-part-1.html

Had to come check them out! (Pinned!)