Friday, January 8, 2010

Babysitter vs. Cleaning Lady

Charlotte pooped in the tub yesterday. Good thing she's cute. Her actions prompted a thorough cleaning of the kids' bathroom. As I knelt scrubbing the tub, I thought of a conversation I had recently with a friend. We were both lamenting the fact that we're perpetually behind on the housework. I half-jokingly mentioned that I should hire someone to clean my bathrooms so I'd have time for other things. To which, my friend replied, "No. You should hire someone to watch the kids so you can clean the bathrooms."

This exchange has caused me much thought.

Pay someone to play with the kids so I can clean the house, or pay someone to clean the house so I can play with the kids? OK, so hired help is not even remotely in the question; but if it were, I know which one I'd pick. And as for my friends who do have cleaning help, I fear I've completely misjudged your motives. Now I get it...and I admire your decision.

1 comment:

katherinemarie said...

For the LONGEST time I felt so guilty hiring help... but now I call my housekeeper my angel--- I can't do it all... no way... not even close...

Today, after my housekeeper left, I walked into my sparkling clean home and SMILED BIG TIME. I sat down and PLAYED with my kids without thinking do this, do that... and it felt FANTASTIC! Sure, the "perfect" clean only lasted 20 minutes... but that's OKAY!

So my angel cleans my house (once a week) and I am forever thankful... because of her I have more time for my kids! :)