Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Sometimes I Forget


  • Sometimes I forget how cool it is to be a mom.
  • Sometimes I feel sorry for myself because I don't get enough sleep, or because nothing ever goes according to plan.
  • Sometimes I feel bad because the house is never spotlessly clean, and the laundry is never caught up.
  • Sometimes I put too much emphasis on things that don't really matter...
...that I lose sight of myself completely.

  • I forget who I am and why I'm here.
  • I forget how lucky and blessed I am to have a husband who is the best friend I've ever had. The man who is always by my side, who will always put me back together when I fall apart.
  • I forget how much I love to hear the words, "Hey Mom." I think it's cool that my two-year-old calls me Mom. I've never been "Mommy". I started out as Mo, then Ma, then Mama, now I'm simply Mom. Lately, my heart skips a beat when I hear my boy casually say "Hey, Mom...(I'm hungry, I need a hug, etc.). It has just felt so real to me that I'm this amazing little person's mother. Perhaps I should have realized that nearly three years ago. But I'm just starting to understand the significance of my motherhood.
I've been feeling really thankful lately for the good things that I have. The things that really matter. I worry too much, sometimes, about the things I don't have that I forget about all the wonderful things I do have. I've realized that even if I'm never blessed with more time, more sleep, more furniture, more children, or more talent, I've got everything I've ever wanted in my kind, funny, smart, patient husband; and in my sincere, energetic, affectionate, adventurous little boy. So forgive me for the indulgent, sappy meandering thoughts...but I think I learned something significant about life this week.

No comments: