Friday, September 30, 2011

Mummy Card Tutorial

I made a bunch of these mummy cards last Halloween, and they were so quick and easy I thought it would be the perfect tutorial to share with you. Halloween is BIG at our house. Both kids love the holiday, and Charlotte was lucky enough to be born on Halloween night. The kids can't wait to decorate the house. But I have issues with decorating before October 1st. So I thought I'd distract them with some little mummy friends.

I'm sure there are a million different tutorials for similar cards. I've never looked, but it wouldn't surprise me. This is how I make them.


 Step 1: Gather the goods.

  • 1 colored card, A2 size (4.25" x 5.5") I just cut my own out of a larger piece of card stock
  • Flat white card stock (size 3.75" x 5") This is what you glue your mummy onto, then you glue the whole thing to the colored paper.
  • White paper strips (roughly 1" x 5-6") I just use scraps from old projects
  • 2 White circles (1.5" diameter)
  • 2 Black circles (1" diameter)
  • Extra colored card stock to match your folded card. You won't need much.
  • Glue. My favorite for paper crafts is zip dry
  • brown ink pad
  • scissors

Step 2: Glue the black circles onto the white circles to make eyeballs
Step 3: Glue the eyeballs onto the scrap of colored card stock
Step 4: Cut around the colored paper. Leave just a small border. Doesn't have to be perfect. It just helps the eyes stand out from the bandages.

Step 5: Ink around three of the four sides of your paper strips. Or do all four sides, if you're feeling like an over-achiever. But the papers will be overlapping, so you can save yourself a little trouble here.


Step 6: Glue the eyeballs to the top third of the white card stock rectangle.


Step 7: Glue on one strip at a time to create the bandages. Don't get them too straight...you want them to be slightly angled. Also pay attention to where the inked parts are. You want to put them toward the inside of the card. You'll go around the entire outside of the card on the next step, to get anything that is left uninked.


Step 8: See how the edges aren't completely inked? I just mentioned that like two seconds ago. Just take your ink pad and rub it around the outside edges of the mummy.

 Step 9: Glue the mummy onto the colored card and you're done.

 Step 10: Unless, of course, your mummy is a girl. In which case, she'll likely need a hair bow.

I have to say, that this particular girl mummy looks an awful lot like Charlotte when she has to wear a hair bow. She kind of rolls her eyes at me like that...then tugs on it till it comes out.

Photobucket

2 comments:

Big D and Me said...

Cute card - I can't believe my daughter already rolls her eyes at me at 2 - maybe you could make a teen mummy with a sigh coming out with utter embarassment of their parent. :)

Cherry Blossoms said...

Super cute! Elle has a pen pal that she write to so I think this could be the perfect card to send to her little pen pal. Her pen pal is my good friends daughter and they recently moved to NYC whom we are going to visit next week.

Have a wonderful weekend.