Friday, May 20, 2011

Out of the Fire

I'm so excited to show you my first two projects from my pottery class. The little cherry bowl is the very first thing I made. There's kind of a thin spot on one side, but for the most part I'm so thrilled with the way it turned out. I used a simple clear glaze, so you can see all the sand in the clay. I think I'm a huge fan of the clear glaze.

Next I made this little vase. It may eventually become a pencil cup; but for now it's holding some fresh freesia that smells so good. I have one more piece waiting to be fired this week and three more close behind. I had an accident with another of the pieces last night as I dipped it in the glaze...my tongs punctured a hole right through the side. Oops. Now I have to figure out what to do with a tiny bowl with a hole in the side. Any ideas?

Anyhow, if you've got a pottery class near you and a wonderful, willing babysitter I highly recommend it. Hope you have a fantastic weekend. I'm so glad the sun decided to join us again for a few days!

9 comments:

Ashley said...

Wow, I'm so impressed. They are gorgeous.

off switch said...

a pottery class has been on my to-do list for years now. i think with school ending this summer i'll have to give it a whirl! your pieces look fantastic christina. keep it up!

babushka said...

Another creative side of you! You are incredibly talented!!!

I V Y said...

mm cherries.


blog
twitter

Fashion Confessions of a Mommy said...

Very pretty. Nice job.

Daphne.
http://fashiondivamommy.blogspot.com

Rachel said...

Okay, seriously, those look amazing! And you keep talking yourself down like they weren't going to turn out. So silly. I can't wait to see the others!

Emily Reese said...

These are beautiful! I love them. What a great idea to take a pottery class. I am going to have to look into this.

Sorry life has been a bit rocky... I think you are wonderful. Em

a m o u r e t t e said...

that is really impressive. my first bowl did not turn out any where near that well!

I just came across your blog today and its really wonderful.

Wahzat Gayle said...

They are both lovely!
Though really loving the bowl with the cherries that image is fabulous as well!