Friday, December 18, 2009

Decorating the Holidays

I have this scraggly little tree adorning my mantle. I'll never forget carrying it home after a holiday prep meeting. I had just moved to California, I was pregnant with Hudson and I'd never ridden the bus before. As I endured my first bus ride, clutching my Christmas tree in the middle of summer, I sat there feeling overwhelmed and wondering exactly what I'd gotten myself into. A new job, a new city, and a new baby all at once. So this tree is a reminder to me that I did it. I survived that horrible boss, that city became my home, and that baby changed my life.

I've always imagined myself having gorgeous holiday decorations. You know, the things you see in design magazines. Instead, I have what I like to call "a collected Christmas." Decorations that I've amassed over time, picked up here and there. As I unpacked the decorations this year, I understood what my mom meant last year. She looked around at my assorted decorations, smiled and said, "This is a real Christmas." I didn't get it at the time, but it became clear as I took a moment to admire each piece and remember the stories behind them. Like that scrawny tree, they all have a story; a memory tied to them. They have shaped the holidays of my past; grown with my family; and I can't wait to see what other treasures (and memories) we add to the collection.

So how do you decorate for the holidays?

2 comments:

katherinemarie said...

I'm not joking... I think I have those SAME EXACT OLD BOOKS... are they law books, by chance? Look at my recent candy and kids post--- same book cover? It doesn't surprise me!

HOPE you have the most amazing and blessed Christmas celebration ever!!!!!!!

PS more baby girl photos {and big bro photos} would be a great Christmas gift. :):)

Unknown said...

This is so sweet! I'm glad you kept that tree. I was just thinking about you this morning. Hope you have all your christmas shopping done now. I think I am except for food shopping.

xo Mary Jo