Monday, April 27, 2009

Motherhood

Last week, the darling Jackie tagged me. I know you're probably getting sick of reading my answers to various tags, but since this one is on my favorite subject I just couldn't resist. The rule is simple: name your five favorite things about being a mother.

1. I get to give and receive unconditional love everyday. There is not a thing he could ever do that would make me love him less. And having a child of my own has helped me see how my own parents love me. H is in the most delightful stage right now. He loves me unabashedly and whole-heartedly. I hope someday he will know how much I utterly adore him.

2. I get to be a kid again; but I get to appreciate it more this time around. And that means the simple pleasures in life: blowing bubbles, pbj with no crust, rocks in your pockets, chasing lizards, finger painting and string cheese.

3. I'm always learning something new. Whether it's first-aid skills, outer space trivia, or all the names of the Cars characters, I'm always learning about things I never had much interest in before he came on the scene.

4. Constant laughter. I can't tell you how many times in a day I laugh with my boy. I love seeing his little sense of humor emerge; I love knowing what makes him laugh and then being rewarded with a big, gigantic, genuine giggle session. Whether it's a good old-fashioned tickle, or laughing just to keep my sanity when there's a new mess to clean up, laughter is one of the constants in my life.

5. Being a mother is both my greatest joy and my greatest challenge. I've never worked so hard for so little recognition. I've never given so much of myself and my time; I've never gone without sleep for such a long period of time. But I've also never been so happy and so fulfilled. I've never felt such a sense of purpose. I've never felt such complete love and joy. Being a mom is definitely the greatest thing I will ever do in my entire life.

Now, the part where I have to tag other people. Maybe it's a cop out, but if you have kids, consider yourself tagged. This was a really good experience for me to take the time to realize exactly why I love being a mom. I think you should all take a couple minutes and do the same thing. It will definitely get your week off to the right start.

1 comment:

Christina said...

this is so sweet (i'm not a mom but all this reading about mom's stuff doing nothing to help w/potential baby fever!) oh, and i never grew out of my love for string cheese, in fact if have some in the fridge right now! thanks for sharing.